What is Compliance?
What is Compliance?
Compliance means your Local Unit has met the requirements for its non-profit status.
Here in Hillsborough County all local units are required to have General Liability Insurance with a common effective date of October 1st, to include an Additional Insured endorsement naming the School District of Hillsborough County. The school district requires an annual, signed Facility Agreement form, which can include a Facility Rental form.
Other items for compliance include:
- Memberships paid to Florida PTA monthly, beginning October 1st, with final payment May 1st. If not paying through MemberHub, use this form to mail the check: https://floridapta.org/media/2019/09/2019-2020-Membership-Dues-Payment-Form.pdf All membership cards will be issued using MemberHub at the local level, if you need help with MemberHub, email [email protected]
- Reported New or Returning Officers to Florida PTA, each year. https://floridapta.org/new-or-returning-officers-form/
- Dues payment sent to HCC PTA/PTSA, (October 1st) if you don't know how much to send in, email the [email protected] to find out what your unit owes.
- Copy of Audit Report sent to Florida PTA, ([email protected]) Due by August 31st each year to Florida PTA Audit form is here: https://floridapta.org/media/2019/06/PTA-AUDIT-FORM-UPDATED-2019-2.pdf
- Filed IRS 990 and confirmation email emailed to Florida PTA, ([email protected]) Due by November 30th each year to Florida PTA
- Current Bylaws. Here is the blank by-laws form link: https://floridapta.org/media/2019/09/2019-2020-BYLAWS-FORM-PDF-FILLABLE.pdf
BYLAWS MUST BE REVIEWED EVERY YEAR. RENEWED AT A MINIMUM, EVERY THREE (3) YEARS. AFTER REVIEW BY THE BOARD AND APPROVAL OF CHANGES TO THE BYLAWS BY THE GENERAL MEMBERSHIP, THE UPDATED BYLAWS MUST BE SENT TO THE FLORIDA PTA STATE OFFICE FOR APPROVAL.
REMEMBER AN AUDIT MUST BE COMPLETED AT THE END OF EACH YEAR AND WHENEVER A TREASURER IS REPLACED.
Your first point of contact with questions or concerns is VP of Areas and Regions, Frank Reyes at [email protected]
Basic Compliance Checklist
Hillsborough County Council PTA/PTSA
o Bylaws Updated __________________ o Florida Memberships Paid ________ o County Council Dues Paid ________ o Audit of Previous Year
o Taxes Completed _________________ o Insurance In Place _______________ o Officers reported to Florida PTA
(every 3 years) (Monthly until May 1st) (October 1st)
(November 15th) (October 1st, or renewal)
Local Unit Checklist
o “Approved” Budget(by members, early in school year)
o Monthly Bank Statements Checked(mailed to school address)
o Checkbook & Register Balanced
o Voided Checks Attached
o Two Signatures on All Checks
o Monthly Financial Reports Filed
o Budget Amendments Approved (if any)
o Audit Performed (by 3 non-signers)
o Proof of Taxes Filed(e-mail to Florida PTA)
o Insurance Certificate with Additional Insured Endorsement o Facilities Use Agreement w/Rental Agreement
o Florida DOR – Tax-Exempt Certificate on File
o Elections Held
o Reported Officers to Florida PTA(online) o Order Kit of Materials from National PTA o Membership Rosters Kept
o Monthly Board Meetings (10)
o Monthly Minutes on File(Minutes kept permanently)
o Monthly Financial Reports on File
o General PTA Meetings (3 minimum)
o General Minutes & Budget Kept (Separately from Exec. Board) o Quorum Established for Voting Purposes(Majority or 10)
o Attend Trainings Sessions(County, State, Online)
o Establish Relationship with School Partners
o Standing Rules to Establish Money Handling/Responsibilities o Develop Advocacy/Legislative Plan